It is the Rau For Art Foundation’s mission to promote the talent of our community’s emerging artists at the high school-level by awarding their excellence in artistic achievement. It is our hope that these students, in turn, make the arts an integral part of their adult lives and share their passion with the world.
Each year, Rau for Art awards a total of three scholarships, ranging from $1,500 to $5,000, with additional funds allotted to high school art departments for art supplies.
This year’s RFA Scholarship Competition theme is DREAMSCAPES:
The Surrealists were inspired by dreams to create their own worlds, incorporating fantastic imagery into their artworks. We invite you to envision a unique surrealist dreamscape of your own. Whether you create an abstract landscape, a fantasy world, or a representation of your dreams, give us a glimpse into your mind’s eye! Inspiration: Salvador Dalí, René Magritte, Dorthea Tanning, Leonor Fini, Max Ernst, Frida Kahlo, etc.
Before you submit you work to the Competition, be sure you FULLY READ the qualifications below and be sure that you’re eligible.
To qualify for participation in the Competition, you must meet the following Eligibility Requirements:
- You must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior in Orleans, Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Tammany or St. Charles Parish (public, private, or home-school equivalent)
- You DO NOT have to be enrolled in an art class
- Your entry must be your original work created during your high school career
- You can only submit ONE work to the Competition, created ONLY by you
- You must follow the Accepted Media requirements (see below)
- Your entry must demonstrate adherence to the competition’s theme
- 1st Place – $5,000 (+ $500 to winner’s high school’s art department)
- 2nd Place – $3,000
- 3rd Place – $1,500
Only one entry is accepted per student, although there is no limit to the number of students allowed to participate from each high school.
Ten finalists will be selected. Once chosen, all finalists will be required to submit their physical work to a juried showing for continued consideration for the Scholarship.
Friday, March 5th, 2021 at 9pm
*Late entries will not be considered.
Submitting Your Work:
All entries should be submitted online via our Submission Form. If you prefer to submit by mail, please contact the Foundation.
Specifications of Entries
- All works must be 2-dimensional.
- The work should be no larger than 24″ by 30″.
- Paintings and drawings are accepted in the following media: oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache, graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink, pastel, and charcoal.
- Layered artwork (collage) is permitted as long as all materials used are produced by the artist. Cannot exceed .125″ in depth. The use of found materials (newsprints and magazine clips, 3D objects) will not be accepted.
- Photography submissions are not accepted at this time.
- Previous submissions for RFA’s Virtual Instagram Exhibitions or past Scholarship Competitions are not allowed for entry.
The Rau For Art Scholarship Competition is a privately juried competition. All acceptable entry formats will be judged equally. All decisions by jurors are final. Neither juror nor employee of the Rau For Art Foundation, nor their families, shall be eligible to enter any Rau For Art Scholarship Competition.
Your entry will be judged on the following criterion:
- Interpretation of Theme
- Execution and Technical Ability
The Rau For Art Scholarship Competition does not infringe on artists’ copyrights. Individual artists retain all ownership rights. By submitting a completed entry form, the student artist grants permission for the Foundation to display finalist artwork on our website and/or any other promotional materials. No artists’ contact information will be given without artists’ consent.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there an entry fee for the competition?
Nope, the competition is free to enter! Therefore we encourage all creative high school students to give it a try!
2. Who will judge my work and how are the finalists selected? When will I find out if I am a finalist?
The RFA Scholarship Competition will be privately juried by a panel made up of members of the RFA Foundation and local “personalities” who will act as guest judges. All acceptable entries will be judged equally. All decisions by jurors are final. Notification of ten finalists will begin approximately 4 weeks after the submission deadline via email with a mailed letter to follow. Finalist’s works must be delivered to our French Quarter location within two weeks of notification of Finalist status. The Scholarship Winners will be announced at the annual Finalist Luncheon Gala to be held in the spring. All Finalists who wish to be considered for the awards must be present at the Finalist Luncheon Gala to win.
3. What if my school doesn’t have art classes or an Art Department? Can I still enter?
Absolutely! Our competition is open to all students in the 10th-12th grades (or its home-school equivalent) in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, St. Charles, and Plaquemines Parishes, regardless of whether or not your school offers art classes or has an Art Department.
4. I am home-schooled. Am I still eligible to enter?
Yes, all home -schooled students who are in the 10th to 12th grade equivalent in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany and St. Charles Parishes are welcome to enter.
5. If I win, how will I receive my scholarship?
All scholarships will be paid directly to the college or university you will attend.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.