It is the Rau For Art Foundation’s mission to promote the talent of our community’s emerging artists at the high school-level by awarding their excellence in artistic achievement. It is our hope that these students, in turn, make the arts an integral part of their adult lives and share their passion with the world.
Each year, Rau for Art awards a total of three scholarships, ranging from $1,500 to $7,500, with additional funds allotted to high school art departments for art supplies.
Before you submit you work to the Competition, be sure you FULLY READ the qualifications below and be sure that you’re eligible.
To qualify for participation in the Competition, you must meet the following Eligibility Requirements:
- You must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior in Orleans, Jefferson, or St. Bernard, St. Tammany or St. Charles Parish (public, private, or home-school equivalent)
- You DO NOT have to be enrolled in an art class
- Your entry must be your original work created during your high school career
- You can only submit ONE work to the Competition, created ONLY by you
- You must follow the Accepted Media requirements (see below)
- Your entry must demonstrate adherence to the competition’s theme
- 1st Place – $7,500 (with option to study in Italy) plus $500 to your school’s art department
- 2nd Place – $3,000
- 3rd Place – $1,500
Only one entry is accepted per student, although there is no limit to the number of students allowed to participate from each high school.
For the 2016-17 competition, ten finalists will be selected. Once chosen, all finalists will be required to submit their physical work to a juried showing for continued consideration for the Scholarship.
Online Registration Deadline:
Monday, January 09, 2017, 11:59 PM*
*Late entries will not be considered.
Submitting your Work:
DO NOT send your actual work of art to the competition unless requested to do so in the Finalist Round.
All preliminary entries should be submitted online via our “Submit Here” page. Alternatively, finished works can also be mailed to:
Rau for Art Foundation
630 Royal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
Submit a single, high-quality color photo no larger than 8.5” x 11″ with the following information: your name, email, phone number, home address, high school, title/dimensions of your work, and a short paragraph explaining your piece.
Specifications of Entries
- All works must be 2-dimensional.
- The work must be no smaller than 11″ x 14″ and no larger than 24″ by 30″.
- Paintings and drawings are accepted in the following media: oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache, graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink, pastel, and charcoal.
- Collage artwork is accepted, but all materials must be produced by the artist. Found-materials such as newspapers and fabrics will not be accepted.
The Rau For Art Scholarship Competition is a privately juried competition. All acceptable entry formats will be judged equally. All decisions by jurors are final. Neither juror nor employee of the Rau For Art Foundation, nor their families, shall be eligible to enter any Rau For Art Scholarship Competition.
Your entry will be judged on the following criterion:
- Interpretation of Theme (25%)
- Originality (25%)
- Execution and Technical Ability (50%)
The Rau For Art Scholarship Competition does not infringe on artists’ copyrights. Individual artists retain all ownership rights. By submitting a completed entry form, the student artist grants permission for the Foundation to display finalist artwork on our website and/or any other promotional materials. No artists’ contact information will be given without artists’ consent.
The Rau for Art Foundation accepts no commission. The Foundation respects the rights of the artist and only promotes the advancement of the visual arts.