The Rau For Art Foundation Scholarship Competition is targeted toward students in 10th-12th grade or its equivalent in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany and St. Charles Parishes with an interest in the visual arts. It is the foundation’s mission to promote the talent of our community’s emerging artists at the high school-level by awarding their excellence in artistic achievement. It is our hope that these students, in turn, make the arts an integral part of their adult lives and share their passion with the world.
The RFA will compose a panel of judges that will evaluate all works submitted equally, on the basis of quality, originality and creativity in their work. The Foundation will award a total of three scholarships per year, with funds given to the student and the art program of the high school that they attend.
The awards for the Scholarship Competition are as follows:
- $7,500 for 1st place winner (with an option of a study abroad program in Italy) and $500 to winner’s high school art department
- $3,000 for 2nd place winner (college scholarship)
- $1,500 for 3rd place winner (college scholarship)
Only one entry is accepted per student, although there is no limit to the number of students allowed to participate from each high school. We encourage all students in the 10th-12th grade that are home-schooled or attend public or private schools in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Tammany and St. Charles Parishes to submit entries. Late entries will not be considered.
There will be no specified number of finalists selected. Once chosen, all finalists will be required to submit their physical work to a juried showing for continued consideration for the Scholarship.
To qualify for participation in the Competition, you must meet the following Eligibility Requirements:
- You must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior in Orleans, Jefferson, or St. Bernard, St. Tammany or St. Charles Parish (public, private, or home-school equivalent)
- You DO NOT have to be enrolled in an art class
- Your entry must be your original work created during your high school career
- You can only submit ONE work to the Competition, created ONLY by you
- You must follow the Accepted Media requirements (see below)
- Your entry must demonstrate adherence to the competition’s theme
DO NOT send your actual work of art to the competition unless requested to do so in the Finalist Round. All preliminary entries should be submitted online via our “Submit Here” page. If this is not available to you, feel free to submit a single, high-quality color copy/print/photo/scan no larger than 8.5” x 11″ labeled on the reverse with your information (your name, email, home address, high school, art teacher (if applicable), title/dimensions of your work, and a short paragraph explaining your piece) and mailed to us at:
Rau for Art Foundation
630 Royal St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
At this time, the RFA is accepting submissions in limited media. It is our hope that as the Competition grows, we can broaden the scope to include other media in the future. The accepted media include:
- Paintings done in oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache, etc.
- Drawings done in graphite, colored pencil, pen and ink, marker, pastel, charcoal, etc.
- Any combination of the above listed media
- Layered artwork (collage) as long as all materials used are produced by the artist. Cannot exceed .125″ in depth. The use of already printed materials (newsprints and magazine clips, 3D objects) will not be accepted.
The original work must be no smaller than 11″ x 14″ and no larger than 24″ by 30″.
Submitting your work
If you prefer to submit your work online:
If you submit your image via our website, please ensure that you complete the entire submission form so that your work will be correctly identified. Works submitted via the website without proper identification will not be considered.
If you prefer to submit your work by mail:
All preliminary entries should be submitted as a single, high-quality color copy/print/photo/printed scan no larger than 8.5” x 11” (standard sheet of paper). If you submit your entry by mail, your mailing must be received by the submission deadline date by 5:00 p.m., attached to a document with your information.
Preliminary image submissions will not be returned.
Remember, DO NOT send us your actual work of art.
The Rau For Art Scholarship Competition is a privately juried competition. All acceptable entry formats will be judged equally. All decisions by jurors are final. Neither juror nor employee of the Rau For Art Foundation, nor their families, shall be eligible to enter any Rau For Art Scholarship Competition.
The Rau For Art Scholarship Competition does not infringe on artists’ copyrights. Individual artists retain all ownership rights. By submitting a completed entry form, the student artist grants permission for the Foundation to display finalist artwork on our website and/or any other promotional materials. No artists’ contact information will be given without artists’ consent.
The Rau for Art Foundation accepts no commission. The Foundation respects the rights of the artist and only promotes the advancement of the visual arts.